Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A glass of red wine!

Down 4lbs!! 11 more to go. I am so thank-ful I lost weight, considering the weekend.

I have been doing some research on how many calories are in a glass of red wine.
A 6 ounce glass of dry red has 150 kcal and 7.2 carbohydrates.
A 9 ounce glass of dry red has 225kcal and 10.8 carbohydrates.


I don't know about any of you, but I typically start with a 9 ounce glass. On the weekend it is pretty easy to consume 2 or 3 glasses over the course of the evening. Looking back, my red wine drinking habit excelerated after my injuries in 2008. Hence all the weight gain.
I justified this bad habit easily too. Starting a business with my husband, 3 kids all playing rep football, as well as 2 playing rep hockey, working part-time on my nutrition business, working part-time at RBC, driving across STW Ontario every weekend and never having enough "me time." So my " me time" became having a glass of red wine in the evening after everyone else was settled in. I often commented to myself I deserve a glass of wine especially after I all I did for my family. It became such a bad habit that I no longer had the energy to wake up at 5.30 in the morning to work-out anymore. Even though I had some injuries I could still go downstairs and ride my spin bike, but I got in my own way!
When your turning 40 and your hormones are adjusting, drinking wine in this fashion, is not a good thing. I wasn't consuming a home cooked meal with my red wine. I already ate dinner 3 hours before my first glass.
This  bad habit created cascading hormonal issues for me, elevating my blood sugar levels, therefore creating an increase in my stress hormones " cortisol" & fight or flight hormone "epinephrine" too fast and for too long.
Staying on this path would have serious effects on my pancreas, liver, kidneys, heart and my endocrine system, never mind the weight I put on.
I am happy I caught this in time. Now I am focusing on stress relieving measures like exercise, boot camp, yoga, eating more protein through out the day and letting my liver naturally detoxify by not drinking wine at all during the week and this weekend coming.

Today I am making a commitment to myself to allow my liver and body to gently detoxify for the next 14 days simply by not drinking any red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment